BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 1

Best Of Both Worlds!
















I was born in the US and have aways been patriotic towards my country. The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. In fifth grade, I remember studying the 50 states and their capitals. To this day I still remember every state with their capital. I have enjoyed trying to teach my children and husband the states and capitals. I also remember in grade school being fascinated with Canada. Maybe because my sister went on a trip their with my grandparents. Later, my brother was called to serve a church mission in Winnipeg, Canada for two years. I was able to hear some of his experiences and learn more about this beautiful country. Mainly, that is was cold way up north and you could get frostbite. My brother proved that first hand or should I say foot? I always wanted to go there but little did I know that someday I would end up living there for awhile.


I married a Canadian and we have three beautiful children. They love being a part of both nations. We lived in Canada for six years and are now back in the USA. I have been fortunate to feel the patriotic feelings that my Canadian family and friends have towards their country and have come to love Canada. 10 is my favorite number and I have waited along time for the Vancouver games in 2010.
The last two weeks with the Olympics in Canada have been so wonderful. I felt a small connection with the Canadians and found my self cheering for the Canadian and US athletes to do well. I did cheer for Canada to win the gold in Hockey. I felt it would be an end to a great Olympics and Canada deserved it. I was happy with all the results of the games except I wish the Canadian Women's Curling team took gold instead of silver, but as I saw them come into the closing ceremony at the Olympic stadium with the silver around their necks and their big grins, I knew they felt a great accomplishment of how well they had done for their country. I was moved by this. Yes, I still love my USA but am fortunate to have the best of both worlds and cheer for both teams. The US had the most Medals ever won by a country in an Olympic Winter Game and Canada had the most Gold Medals ever won by one country in the Winter games. They both did great.













Thanks to my parents for introducing me to sports and the many hours we watched the Olympics together when I was young. I love them and now will go through the withdrawal as they end. I am proud to be an American with a Canadian family. Thanks to Canada and ALL the Olympic athletes for giving us a wonderful Olympics!!!!I love my American and my Canadian families. I feel so blessed.

3 comments:

cari said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I know you will go through Olympic withdral for the next couple of weeks. I am also proud to be part of both countries. Cheers to all!!!
Scott

mommag said...

I too am grateful to have a neighbor like Canada. They have been such a support to the US throughout history. Did you see the little documentary they had during the Olympics about Gander, New Foundland and how they took in all the planes coming into the US on 911. It was so touching, I have to admit I shed tears. I also have to admit I was happy Canada won the hockey game. I love Canada - produced me a great son-in-law.

Jo said...

Thank you Cari. Your tribute to Canada brought tears to my eyes. We are so fortunate to border the US and respect not only the country but the people as well. Afterall, we have you and two grandchildren born there. Best of both worlds. Having said that....I feel so blessed to be a Canadian.